- Personal Injury
- Auto Accident
- Truck Accident
- Motorcycle Accident
- Bicycle/Pedestrian Accidents
- Construction Accidents
- Oilfield/Oil Rig Accidents
- Catastrophic Injuries
- Wrongful Death
- Medical Malpractice
- Birth Injury
- Nursing Home Abuse & Neglect
- Workplace Accidents
- Premises Liability (Slip & Fall)
- Product Liability
- Pharmaceutical Litigation
- Class Actions
Learn more about our knowledgeable, aggressive and dedicated team of Houston Birth Injury Lawyers.
Complete this quick form to send us a message regarding your case.
24/7 Phone Support
Texas Birth Injury – Birth Defects
A birth injury is a physical injury which is sustained by the newborn before, during or immediately after being born. These physical injuries are also referred to as birth trauma. While it's common for babies to be born with minor injuries, such as bruises or swelling, in some cases, severe birth injuries may occur and can cause lifelong physical, developmental, and cognitive complications.
A birth injury can be caused by an act or failure to act on the part of a medical professional before, during or after the birth of a child.
If you believe your child's physical, mental or developmental problems may have been caused by a preventable birth injury, you may be eligible to seek compensation for the child's losses and suffering. It is important to speak with a Houston Birth Injury Lawyer to determine what your legal rights are.
Causes of Birth Injuries
Typically, birth injuries are caused by the negligent conduct of healthcare professionals. The following are some common causes of a Texas Birth Injury:
- Doctor failure to run standard tests to screen for preventable complications.
- Doctor failure to diagnose or treat problems that may affect newborn’s growth and development.
- Doctor failure to plan for a C-section when warranted.
- Doctor prescribed medications during pregnancy known to cause harm to the fetus.
- Failure to expedite delivery of the baby.
- Hospital personnel failed to satisfactorily monitor baby's condition during labor.
- Negligent use of forceps, vacuum or other medical equipment.
- Medication given to Mother that put the baby's health at risk.
A Birth Injury Damages can be life changing
Common birth injuries are head and brain injuries, nerve injuries, bone injuries, skin, and tissue injuries that can affect the infant for life. Common physical damages caused by Birth Injuries include:
- Brain damage
- Facial paralysis
- Internal bleeding
- Bruising, lacerations, forceps marks
- Cerebral palsy
- Shoulder dystocia injuries
- Damages to the Spinal Cord
- Erb’s palsy (also known as brachial palsy
Texas Birth Injury Damages
A victim who has suffered an injury or a family member who lost a loved one caused by preventable Birth Injury may be entitled to compensation for economic and non-economic damages. In birth injury cases, Texas legislature has enacted laws that limit non-economic damages (like those awarded for pain and suffering). For more information regarding these limits, please contact our office to speak with a Texas birth injury attorney.
Has your child suffered from a preventable Birth Injury?
Since doctors and hospitals rarely admit to a mistake, it is important to speak with a birth injury lawyer for questions you may have regarding healthcare professionals legal responsibilities. If you believe your child's physical, mental or developmental problems may have been caused by the negligence of healthcare professionals, please contact The Law Firm of Marco Palumbo to speak to a Houston Birth Injury Lawyer.
Our law firm is fully prepared to handle all types of birth injury cases. When we take on a birth injury case, we do everything possible to provide our clients with the understanding, direction and legal guidance they deserve.